This Sunday is 10/10/10, the tenth of October 2010. This is the date that many businesses, including mine, have pledged to achieve a 10% reduction of carbon emissions. My business is home-based, and I’ve done a lot this year to achieve my target:
- Mimimyne has switched the office energy supply to to 100% green energy with Ovo
- Mimimyne has moved to a new build home office which has a great energy efficiency rating, insulation and double glazing
- Mimimyne has been audited and accredited by Carbon Smart 2010 and set up a new energy saving action plan
- Mimimyne has installed a PowerDown energy plug to turn off all computer peripherals when the PC is turned off
- Mimimyne now uses only bicycles or Streetcar for personal use and only bicycles or public transport for business use
- Mimimyne uses reclaimed or vintage office furniture and has low energy lightbulbs throughout.
- Mimimyne uses recycled and if possible, recyclable packaging whenever possible. All business stationery is printed on recycled paper
Mimimyne has some outstanding items on our energy saving action plan, including installing an energy monitor and composting. However, I hope to work my way through these by the end of 2010 at the latest!
For my low-carbon lunch celebration, I’ll be roasting a Sunday lunch of UK organic beef with UK grown vegetables (I’m afraid my local sourcing didn’t get much further than my local Waitrose, but the Essentials range restricts itself to only UK farmers and producers who are accredited by LEAF and are committed to protecting the environment, which is great). I’ll also make apple crumble with home grown apples from my mother’s apple trees: you can’t get more local than that! I’ll post a picture tomorrow.
10.10.10 is also my tenth wedding anniversary, so it’s be a very memorable date for me!